By Avice Perez, FDMS Campus Minister
For the Umatuna Si Yu’os
FDMS was originally established on Oct. 1, 1948 by Bishop Apollinaris Baumgartner, OFM Cap. as a minor seminary and high school for young men. The school experienced different phases, not only physically, but also through its leadership. The original structures of the school consisted of simple Quonset huts which later evolved into more permanent structures over the years.
FDMS transitioned in leadership, thereafter, in 1959-1974, when the school was under the administration of the Capuchin Franciscan friars, followed by the Marist Brothers in 1974-1989, the Canons Regular in 1989-1991, then onto the Catholic laity in 1991-2009 to Jack Stettenbenz and Bill Roth, before being succeeded by the Salesians of Don Bosco in 2009-2012.
In 2012, a local diocesan priest, Father Jeffrey C. San Nicolas, was appointed as head of the school until the beginning of school year 2016-2017 when Mr. Tony Thompson had taken command. Many students have gone through the halls of FDMS which has built the foundation and of what the school is today. Through the various changes of the school, nonetheless, Friars continue to carry out the school’s mission as a Catholic college preparatory institution. Fortes in fide!