By Anne Marie Rodriguez
Umatuna Si Yu’os
(Our Lady of Peace and Safe Journey) Catholic Church celebrated their fiesta on a windy afternoon on Jan. 20, 2018 at the Chalan Pago parish.
Archbishop Michael Byrnes, the main celebrant of the Mass, was joined by concelebrants, parish parochial administrator Father Carlos S. Vila as well as St. Anthony & St. Victor parish parochial vicar Father Efren Adversario and pastor emeritus Monsignor Brigido “Bibi” Arroyo. Assisting at the Mass was newly ordained Deacon Rudolfo Que of the Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral Basilica in Hagåtña.
“‘Repent and believe in the Gospel,’” quoted the archbishop as he delivered his homily. “The kingdom of God is at hand.
“We hear that and it always doesn’t register … Any earthly priority is threatened by the kingdom of God. Jesus himself is King.
“He invites you and me into the kingdom of God even though we live … in the kingdom of this world. We’re called to live in the kingdom of God.
“In heaven, that’ll be easy,” the archbishop continued. “Here, it’s difficult. There [are] two competing kingdoms.
“Whose kingdom do we follow? That’s the question. That’s the challenge you and I face every day. Whose king am I [going to] follow today?”
The Mass celebration was followed by the traditional procession of Our Lady through the streets of Chalan Pago. Hundreds of devotees solemnly prayed and sang hymns as they marched on faithfully back to the church where the feast concluded with the customary “Na’ Taotao Tumåno’.”
Our Lady of Fatima statue spends its last week on Guam
Jan. 28, Sunday
- Skilled Nursing Unit, Barrigada Heights, 8 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Jan. 29, Monday
- Dept. of Corrections, Mangilao, 8 a.m. – 12 noon
- Dept. of Youth Affairs, Mangilao, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- San Vicente Ferrer & San Roke, Barrigada, 6 p.m. – 11 p.m.
Jan. 30, Tuesday
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic School, Agat, 8 a.m. – 12 noon
- Blessed Diego Luis de San Vitores, Tumon, 6 p.m. – 11 p.m.
Jan. 31, Wednesday
- St. Anthony & St. Victor, Tamuning, 6 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Nuestra Señora de las Aguas, Mongmong, 12 noon – 5 p.m.
Feb. 1, Thursday
- Guam Memorial Hospital, Tamuning, 8 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Feb. 2, Friday
- Guam Regional Medical City, Dededo, 8 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- Santa Bernadita, Yigo, 5 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Feb. 3, Saturday
- Immaculate Heart of Mary, Toto, 12 noon – 10:30 a.m. (Feb. 4, Sunday)
Added more photos to photo gallery on Jan. 29, 2018.